On this page there are a dozen tips and shortcuts for the Kindle 3 (Keyboard version).
The Kindle is the most popular ebook reader but many people are not aware of everything they can do with it.
- Sleep & Turn Off – Many people don’t know the difference between putting their Kindle to sleep and turning it off. When you slide the power switch quickly that puts your Kindle to sleep. Some features can still function while the Kindle is asleep, such as receiving scheduled subscriptions and even reading aloud. To turn it off properly, slide the power switch and hold it for 7 seconds. When it is off it has a blank screen.
- Check Free Space – Go to Home first. Then press “Menu”. In the top left corner of the screen you can see how many megabytes of storage are free.
- Screen Capture – To create an image of whatever is on screen press Shift-Alt-G. The image will be stored in the Documents folder on your device and you can copy it to your PC via USB cable.
- Enlarge an Image – If you are having difficulty seeing the detail in a chart or image you can use the 5-way controller to put the cursor over the image. A small zoom icon with a plus sign appears. Press the 5-way controller to zoom in, then press it again to zoom out.
- Change Layout – Are you having a hard time reading a large PDF page with images or text that doesn’t wrap? You can change to Landscape layout by hitting Aa then use the 5-way controller to adjust.
- Change Font Size – Press Aa then 5-way controller to adjust.
- Keep Wireless Off when you don’t need it, to save battery. Press Menu – Wireless Off.
- Have Your Kindle Read Aloud – Press Shift Key and Sym. Do that again to turn it off. To pause and restart press the space button. To change the voice between male and female or faster and slower press the Aa button while the audio is playing.
- Entering Numbers – To enter the numbers 1 to 0 press Alt and the letters Q to P in the top row of the keyboard.
- Dictionary – To look up a word use the 5 way controller to move the cursor to the start of the word. A short definition appears at the top of the screen. To see a full definition click the enter key.
- Social Network Sharing on Twitter and Facebook – to share your notes and highlights with friends using Twitter and Facebook, go to your note or highlight and press Alt and Enter . You also need to have set up your social network accounts in your Kindle. Go to Home then Menu – Settings, and turn pages until you see Social networks. Select “manage”.
- Set a Password – To set a password on your Kindle go to Home then press Menu – Settings. Turn pages until you see Device Password and select “turn on”.